About Shanklea Squirrels
Shanklea Squirrels has dedicated staff who promote a nurturing environment, making it the very best place for your child to experience being away from home possibly for the first time. Children can join our Squirrels from the term after their second birthday. They will stay here till they join our Nursery the term after they are three.
Shanklea Squirrels is housed in our nursery with a separate room available for them they have access to low level work surface and display boards which make the room more friendly and the equipment accessible for all children.
Shanklea Squirrels have child size basins and toilets. A nappy changing station is also available. They have their own secure outdoor environment.
In the Early Years at Shanklea, we greatly value the strong positive relationships we build up with the children in our setting and their families. Children’s emotional development and wellbeing is an essential foundation for their health, happiness and ability to learn. In the Squirrels we have a Key Person system. Each child is assigned a Key Person when they join. This member of staff will support your child’s development and act as a key point of contact with his/her parents.
Key Person lists are available on the entry notice board.
Two year Old Progress Checks
You will be invited by your child’s Key Person to attend an informal discussion about key areas of your child’s development. This is a new initiative endorsed by the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum, where Parents, Practitioners and Health Visitors work together to ensure all children’s needs are identified. Two Year Progress checks take place between 24-36 months. Please ask a member of staff for more details on when this assessment will take place.
We offer funded and non-funded places. We have 12 places each day for children attending 9:00 - 12:00. Parents may wish to put their child in for 1 session or 5 sessions it is up to you.
To find out if you are eligible for Funded place please check out the link below.
Please contact the School office for more advice on admission costs and places.
Free Child Care
Your 2-year-old can get free childcare if you live in England and get one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments
- tax credits, and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
2-year-olds can also get free childcare if they:
- are looked after by a local authority
- have a statement of special education needs (SEN)or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
- get Disability Living Allowance
- have left care under an adoption order, special guardianship order or a child arrangements order
You may have to pay for extra costs like meals, nappies or trips.