Statement of Intent
At Shanklea we believe Science encompasses the acquisition of knowledge, concepts, skills and positive attitudes. Through the programmes of study in the National Curriculum Science document, alongside our own units of work, children will acquire and develop these skills throughout their Primary years.
We believe that Science promotes communication in a specific and precise language involving scientific, mathematical and logical thinking. It allows children to develop ways of finding out for themselves and gives them practice in problem solving.
As their knowledge and understanding increases and they become more proficient in selecting and using scientific equipment and collating and interpreting results, they will become increasingly confident in their growing ability to come to conclusions based on real evidence.
They will develop the skills required to record their work using conventional reports alongside other methods of recording. Science fosters a healthy curiosity in children about our universe and promotes respect for the environment in which we all share. It allows children to develop original ideas and a questioning attitude.
In Science, pupils are encouraged to be open- minded and to try and make sense of what they observe and find out. The main focus of our approach will be through practical activities where we encourage children to recognize the need for fair testing.
- To provide a Science course that meets the needs of the National Curriculum.
- To provide a course of study that will prove interesting and enjoyable to the pupils.
- To develop scientific knowledge, understanding and skills so that the children may make informed judgements about scientific issues.
- To develop the skills that will allow the children to carry out scientific investigations.
- To develop a variety of approaches the children may use to present their work.
- To encourage and develop safe practice in Science.
- To provide scientific experiences that are relevant and useful in everyday life.
- To provide a Science course that will form a foundation for the curriculum the children will undertake at secondary school.