Shanklea's SEND Statement
As with all local maintained schools, Shanklea Primary School has a duty and commitment to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and is supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. It is important to us that the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s and Disabilities are met in a mainstream setting, wherever possible, where families want this to happen.
At Shanklea Primary School, we uphold the highest commitment to supporting, challenging and nurturing all children to enable them to achieve at school. This is done through Quality First teaching in the classroom, by our Teaching and Support staff. In some cases, it may benefit our children to access further help and support in a specific way. If there is a need for a child to have access to specific styles of learning and support, to remove a barrier to learning, this will be done through a graduated approach. This will be initiated by the class teacher, and supported by the trained SEND Team and, where appropriate, by external specialists. We work in a flexible way to develop effective partnerships with children and their parents/carers in order to ensure that they are central to any decision making with regards to the additional needs of the pupil. Alongside this, we act upon advice from external specialists from education and health to ensure we can meet a broad range of needs. We work in close partnership with stakeholders at every juncture and strive towards achieving an excellent team around the child.
THE SEND AIMS OF THE SCHOOL
• To ensure that all pupils have access to a broad and balanced curriculum.
• To provide a differentiated curriculum appropriate to the individual’s needs and ability.
• To ensure the identification of all pupils requiring SEND provision as early as possible in their school career.
• To ensure that SEND pupils take as full a part as possible in all school activities.
• To ensure that parents of SEND pupils are kept fully informed of their child’s progress and attainment.
• To create an environment where pupils can contribute to their own learning, where they feel safe and listened to.
At Shanklea Primary School we believe in achievement, ambition and progress and endeavour to foster a culture of enquiry and life-long learning for children of all needs and ability.